• Coordinates the Group of Concerned Citizens (GCC), which works towards democratic participation of minorities, and empowerment of the poor, including pressuring government to provide funds for Tamil & Chinese schools and mother tongue education.
• Promotes public management of water and opposes water privatisation.
• Charles (with 12 others) has filed a court action to review Minister’s decision to raise water tariff by 15 %. Water tariff will increase by 37 % in 2009.
• Advises regional organisations and other stakeholders, including small and medium industries, on the impact of the US Free Trade Agreement on the Malaysian business sector.
• Was an expert adviser to the Indonesian Constitutional Court on water.